Saturday, November 15, 2008

Orange Chiffon Cake

Had alot of oranges in the house.. so I wanted to make use of them for a cake. Therefore I tried this chiffon cake. It was fantastic. Light, healthy and fragrant. It uses vegetable oil and there wasn't any butter. What's more, it's easy to prepare.. within an hr. It's awesome.. here's it! (slightly revised)


I use a small tube pan so I halved the recipe. (this is the half recipe)


(A)
2 egg yolks
10g sugar
1/8 tsp salt
30g vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
35g milk

(B)
1 orange zest
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp squeezed orange juice (more orange juice makes it more fragrant and dense, not so chiffony)

(C)
50g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

(D)
2 egg whites
50g sugar

1. Mix A till well combined, then add C.
2. Whisk egg whites in D till soft peaks form, then add sugar.
3. Continue whisking till stiff.
4. Take 1/4 of the meringue and mix with egg yolk mixture and combine well.
5. Mix the remaining merginue with the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
6. Add in B and mix well.
7. Pour into a tube pan (about 18cm) and bake at 170deg C for 45min. (it will rise quite a lot)
8. When cool, remove from mould.

Optional:

Some choppped walnuts on top to bake.




(reference: Alex Goh Fruity Cakes)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur orange chiffon cake looks awesome!!

There are many recipes in Alex Goh's Fruity Cakes that I want to try out. :)

Missy said...

Thanks Angela. I actually used his 'base' chiffon cake recipe and i added orange myself. I cut a little bit of sugar and increased orange juice to make it more natural.. he has alot of good receipes.. good book! and very easy to follow too!

ps: is ur blog acct ready?

Anonymous said...

Missy,

I have not started yet but I still updating my multiply site.

Generally I will reduce sugar when adapting Alex Goh's recipe, he has a sweet tooth. hehe.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow...Missy,

Your Orange Chiffon Cake look great!!!!! It's so nicely done... :)

Missy said...

Angela: Yes yes i reduce too! i agree with u :P

Ellena: tks!! u shuld try it. quite easy and quick!

Anonymous said...

Hihi....

what is orange zest? or lemon zest??? saw this in a few receipes...but dun noe what it is..and where can i get it?

Missy said...

HI GeGe nice to see you here!!

Orange zest refers to the outer skin of the orange.....likewise for lemon.

It is often used to add strong flavor to foods, such as lemon meringue pie, sorbets and salads. To remove the zest from a fruit, a zester, vegetable peeler or paring knife is used to scrape the colored part of the peel off. The white membrane under the zest is unpleasantly bitter and generally avoided by limiting the peeling depth. (Wikipedia)

Hope I ans ur ques :)

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
your cake looks really good!
is that the picture of your pan?
the recipe you posted is the halved-version or the original version?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and in step 1 do you mean add A B and C? you don't mention C at all in your steps...

cream of tartar isnt in your ingredients list, how much to add?

Missy said...

Oh my god thanks for highlighting! i just realised the error in the book.. nowhere states cream of tartar as ingredient until it appears in the steps. So Ive removed it completely.

And yes thats my pan :)

And I've slightly revised the steps, cos I added in extra orange juice on my own. So I incorporated one more step myself.

tks once again!