Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Souffles

Light as air, melt-in-the-mouth souffles are always impressive and sought after. And they never fail to tempt chocolate and non chocolate lovers. They are often based on the simplest store-cupboard ingredients for every baker and this recipe doesn't call for flour. For extra indulgence, serve with an ice cream or whipped cream with dark rum and grated orange rind. You can also top it up with a strawberry.

All you need: (for 6)

50g unsweetened cocoa powder
65g caster sugar
30ml dark rum
6 egg whites

1 Preheat oven to 190deg C. Place baking sheet in the oven to heat it up.
2 Mix 15ml of cocoa with 15ml of sugar in a bowl. Grease ramekins. Pour cocoa and sugar mixture into each dish in turn, rotating them so that they are evenly coated.
3 Mix the remaining cocoa powder with the dark rum.
4 Whisk egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl until they form stiff peaks. Whisk in the remaining sugar. Stir a generous spoonful of the whites into the cocoa mixture to lighten it, then fold in the remaining whites.
5 Divide the mixture among the dishes. Place on the hot baking sheet and bake for 13-15 mins or until well risen
6 Dust with icing sugar when cooled.

In my version I didn't have rum so I replaced it with orange juice. I'm not sure if that's the cause of the bitterness in my souffle, or that I have folded in the egg whites too much. Anyhow that was my first attempt and it was something sweet and enjoyable :)


Adapted from: Three & Four Ingredients

9 comments:

Christine said...

I have yet to venture into the souffle category. Definitely need to put ramekins on a list of items to buy, I say that to myself whenever I see someone use them!

Anita said...

Looks quite easy - I'll have to give it a go after I've made some custard and have left-over egg whites

Happy Homebaker said...

I have not tasted any souffles, although I have kept several recipes, I have yet to try making them. Your chocolate souffles look so delicious, and I love your photos! You are so talented!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I am drooling now....I wanted to make choc souffles long times ago and I actually specilly bought some ramekins of this purpose.....but until now the remekins are still sitting in my kitchen cupboard.

Missy said...

my version of souffle here is quite bitter.. i will attempt another version with flour and maybe a bit more sugar. feedback welcome:)

thanks everyone! hope you can succeed in your souffle too!

Simones Kitchen said...

I've only attempted to make souffles once and they were lemon ones from a Donna Hay cookbook, but soooo terribly sweet that we couldn't really finish it... :) Love your chocolate version...

Missy said...

but this one tastes bitter :(

Anonymous said...

Hello! May i know where do you get your ramekins from in singapore?

Missy said...

I got them in Daiso $2 shop! but you can also get them at department stores under the household section :)