Saturday, August 15, 2009

Vegetarian Pasta

I had too much meat and heavy stuff over the week. It's time to take something light and detox a little. Now I've begun to abstain from meat (and I mean poultry and seafood) completely for about 1 or 2 days a week for health reasons. That includes breakfast, which means no tuna nor sardines nor steam pork buns. I also try to cut down on my carbo intake to maintain a healthy diet. Not sure how this would work in the long run, but I guess reduction of fat in meat is a good way to start, coupled with some exercises along the way.

Urged by the desperate need to lose some weight, I bought the Borges Extra Light Olive Oil and cooked myself a Vegetarian Pasta dish on Saturday. I got together some:


Swiss Brown mushrooms (sliced)
Asparagus (cut into smaller lengths)
Small sweet corn (cut)
Carrots (sliced)


I cooked the mushrooms and the vegetables separately as I took longer time to cook the asparagus, corn and carrots completely. Fry the vegetables with garlic and olive oil and let it simmer for a while then add in the cooked mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt.

Cook a portion of Penne (for one serving) then stir fry a little while together with the vegetables. Add more olive oil if desired. Add a dash of salt and pepper and I seasoned it with some Oregano powder.

Voila! A healthy and tasty Vegetarian Pasta dish that takes only takes <30min.

8 comments:

tracieMoo said...

this looks very healthy! =)

Happy Homebaker said...

What a healthy and yet delicious meal...I have never thot of cooking pasta with veggies! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea :D

Missy said...

I was actually inspired by someone I know who is a strict vegan.. and she always cooks veg pasta/dishes. so here it is :) something different from the usual red meat dishes

tks tracie moo! u have a beautiful blog too!

grub said...

WOW! Looks so colourful and pretty ^^ I want to try a tomato sauce version :)

Junglefrog said...

Despite that being only vegetables it still looks absolutely delicious! I was so planning to lose weight before my holidays but it's not likely to happen (only one week left) but I still might try this recipe. Looks gorgeous!

Skinnymum said...

i read your post, rushed to the kitchen and replicated your dish .... i am having it now for lunch. simply super yummy delicious!! thanks LOADS for sharing.

Cook.Bake.Love said...

The pasta looks very appetizing and healthy.

Missy said...

tks grub! im sure you can.. jus dat i wanna try something very light with just olive oil :)

Junglefrog: hopefully on this i can lose some weight too :(

skinnymum: nice to hear that!!! i tink veg dish can be eaten anytime of the week and day!

Cookbakelove: sure it was appetising! light and healthy