Saturday, August 15, 2009

Vegetarian Pasta

I had too much meat and heavy stuff over the week. It's time to take something light and detox a little. Now I've begun to abstain from meat (and I mean poultry and seafood) completely for about 1 or 2 days a week for health reasons. That includes breakfast, which means no tuna nor sardines nor steam pork buns. I also try to cut down on my carbo intake to maintain a healthy diet. Not sure how this would work in the long run, but I guess reduction of fat in meat is a good way to start, coupled with some exercises along the way.

Urged by the desperate need to lose some weight, I bought the Borges Extra Light Olive Oil and cooked myself a Vegetarian Pasta dish on Saturday. I got together some:


Swiss Brown mushrooms (sliced)
Asparagus (cut into smaller lengths)
Small sweet corn (cut)
Carrots (sliced)


I cooked the mushrooms and the vegetables separately as I took longer time to cook the asparagus, corn and carrots completely. Fry the vegetables with garlic and olive oil and let it simmer for a while then add in the cooked mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt.

Cook a portion of Penne (for one serving) then stir fry a little while together with the vegetables. Add more olive oil if desired. Add a dash of salt and pepper and I seasoned it with some Oregano powder.

Voila! A healthy and tasty Vegetarian Pasta dish that takes only takes <30min.

8 comments:

tracieMoo said...

this looks very healthy! =)

Happy Homebaker said...

What a healthy and yet delicious meal...I have never thot of cooking pasta with veggies! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea :D

Missy said...

I was actually inspired by someone I know who is a strict vegan.. and she always cooks veg pasta/dishes. so here it is :) something different from the usual red meat dishes

tks tracie moo! u have a beautiful blog too!

grub said...

WOW! Looks so colourful and pretty ^^ I want to try a tomato sauce version :)

Simones Kitchen said...

Despite that being only vegetables it still looks absolutely delicious! I was so planning to lose weight before my holidays but it's not likely to happen (only one week left) but I still might try this recipe. Looks gorgeous!

celine said...

i read your post, rushed to the kitchen and replicated your dish .... i am having it now for lunch. simply super yummy delicious!! thanks LOADS for sharing.

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

The pasta looks very appetizing and healthy.

Missy said...

tks grub! im sure you can.. jus dat i wanna try something very light with just olive oil :)

Junglefrog: hopefully on this i can lose some weight too :(

skinnymum: nice to hear that!!! i tink veg dish can be eaten anytime of the week and day!

Cookbakelove: sure it was appetising! light and healthy