Thursday, April 9, 2009

Orange Stars

I got myself a baking book cos I can't bake the proper way. This book explains with very clear instructions on why cakes turn out this way and hints and tips to prevent a disastrous cake in the making. It also provides very precise instructions on what can go wrong and how to make things right. It is very useful for people like me who always have failed in cakes and cookies. This 374 page bible "Baking - A Commonsense Guide" showcases all kinds of baked goods like cakes, muffins, friands (pronounced as free ons), biscuits, slices, pastry, baked desserts and breads & scones. Alot of ingredients seem very foreign to me and I don't think I'm able to get them here. Anyhow here's something I could attempt and lay my fingers on (and taste buds).



Original Recipe for Lemon Stars but I have since adapted to Orange Stars. This is the original quantity but I have halved it for convenience and practical reasons.



125g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
125g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest (I replace with orange with 1 tsp of the juice extracted from it)
155g plain flour
110g cornmeal

1. Preheat oven to 160deg c
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper
3. Beat butter and sugar till creamy
4. Mix in egg yolk, orange zest, flour and cornmeal until a soft dough forms (I couldn't reach this so I used my fingers to start rolling and kneading)
5. Roll out on a lightly floured surface of 1cm
6. Cut out stars from biscuit cutter and bake for 15-20min
7. Let cool on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar if desired

4 comments:

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

wow, u managed to cut your cookies very nicely....great job!

Missy said...

i had many failed attempts.. these are the nicer ones. the not so nice ones were in my stomach :)

Simones Kitchen said...

Those look lovely missy and great job on the cutting indeed! (always good when you can have the not so nice ones disappear without any problem..:))

Missy said...

hahah tks tks