Monday, October 10, 2011

One of my favourite cake

What's brown, yellow with swirls in it? No prize for guessing. It's Marble Cake.

Marble cake is one of my favourite cake. I've done a marble cake post before but this is an improved version with chocolate coating and strawberry decor.

We had a gathering over the National Day holiday to celebrate 4 of our friends' birthday. The folks came over to our place for a potluck session, so I thought why buy a birthday cake when I can bake one? I may not bake the most fantastic cake in the world (or Singapore), but I can attempt to do one :) Marble cake came to my mind because it is relatively simple and I guess palatable to most people.

 
I like the swirls inside :)


Top it with a strawberry to make it more appetising. Chocolate + strawberry = pleasure!


Here's the recipe I got from Baking: A Commonsense Guide with slight modification.




1 tsp vanilla extract
185g unsalted butter, chopped
230g caster sugar (I had 210g)
3 eggs
280g self raising flour, sifted
185ml milk2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with 1.5 tbsp warm milk


1 Preheat oven to 200 deg C and lightly grease and line a round pan
2 Add vanilla extract to a bowl of butter and sugar, and use electric beaters to cream the mixture till light and fluffy.
3 Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition
4 Fold the flour into the mixture alternatively with the milk until combined
5 Divide the mixture into 2/3 and 1/3 (original from book is 1/2) into separate bowls
6 Combine the cocoa mixture into the smaller 1/3 portion and combine well
7 Spoon the 2 portions alternatively using a spoon into the pan
8 Use a metal skewer and cut through the mixture to create a marble effect (do not overdo it)
9 Bake for 50-60min and leave in the tin for 5 min before removing


To make the chocolate coating, double boil 125g of dark chocolate with 20g of butter
Stir well then cream the chocolate coating onto the cake when cake has cooled
Refrigerate it and it will be ready to serve after the coating has set in

2 comments:

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

This butter/marble cake looks light and fluffy to me, I would like to give it a try. thanks for sharing.

Christine said...

This looks perfect! The swirls are lovely.